Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sometimes rain means steady rain

Date: May 16, 2007
Time: 21:43
Place: The Dry-odero

Careful readers of this blog may have caught my post a few days ago in which I rhapsodically described the ability to bicycle 2 flat miles to work on these lovely spring days. True indeed for the most part, but add steady rain into the equation, and the prospects become unpleasing indeed.

Nothing has happened to me recently that would suggest that I was on a "good luck" streak, so why I chose to ride to work this morning fully aware of forecasted "PM showers" is mysterious even to me. Perhaps I suspected they meant intermittent showers but couldn't fit it in the little box with the sun, cloud, and rain drops. It was also a most clement morning, the type which one believes would preclude such an egregiously hideous turn.

I left the buiding around 7:20 PM and it was pouring steadily. I got the bike into the subway, road to Rockefeller Center, transferred, and got to Roosevelt Island, for such is the nexus of the V and F trains. The two mile trip is a 5 mile subway ride. Because of all the construction on Roosevelt Island, the roads are all very badly crowned, so the few hundred feet I road north of the subway to the covered sidewalks was enough to thoroughly drench my pants as I road through one deep puddle after another. Note to self: the middle of the road is the highest point.

No comments: