Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Rocket Returns

Date: May 7th, 2007
Time: 22:14
Place: The Swankadero

It looks like Roger Clemens is attempting to illustrate the new paradigm of phased retirement. He saves himself the wear and tear of spring and comes out once all the prologue has been taken care of. At 45, he's been to that rodeo before. I'm sure he knows how to get himself in shape by this point. The big question is what the Yankees do with Pavano. I don't think they can trade him at this point, so they may have to eat all the zillions of dollars on their own.

Clemens may be the best superannuated pitcher , but he is not without precedent. Nolan Ryan was a dominant power pitcher well into his 40's. No one knew how old Satchel Paige was. He was rumored to be in his 50's. Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez is supposedly in his mid-40's as were the famed knuckle-ball brothers Joe and Phil Niekro.

Given the way Kayagawa and the Yankees bullpen pitched last Friday, I doubt my 45 year old arm could have fared any worse. My left shoulder is still frozen so I can't field well, but I have a feeling if they made contact the infield would not be an issue.

No comments: