Saturday, May 5, 2007

Good riddance, worst week ever

Date: May 5, 2007
Time: 21:09
Place: Welfare Island Swankadero

There's only 3 hours left for something else really crappy to happen to me this week. There was the usual shoulder PT, and of course, the exercise ball I bought today had no pin with the pump to add to background hum of petty annoyances. The highlights were the wonderful dental surgery of Monday, the malignancy diagnosis of Wednesday, and I managed to lose my Flash drive at some point. Tuesday was the fourth anniversary of my mother's death. Cheer all around!

The one thing I find therapeutic is sleeping late in the morning. I have reasonably flexible work hours, and I live very close to work, so usually I can get away with sleeping until 8:30 or 9. That one extra hour is a magic tonic, but of course when I could use it most, no go. The Swankadero is a penthouse (as are most Swankadero's) and Roosevelt Island law is that escalators and elevators need to be out of service at least 60% of the time. On Wednesday and Thursday at 8 the repair crew showed up and engaged in some kind of ritual that involved dropping chains on the floor of the elevator shed (exorcising Jacob Marley?) which is right over my bedroom.

On Friday, something of great interest to the local news organs took place in either Astoria or the upper east side since there was a helicopter hovering over my apartment complex for about an hour starting a little after 7 AM. I can see every direction but north from my patio and I couldn't see the chopper while I wished ardently for a Stinger missile. My right shoulder is still good and had a citronella candle to wing at them if they got close enough.

No comments: